Skip to main content

In the spring garden

Spring is definitely my favourite season. It's been sunny almost every day over the weeks here and my son enjoys playing outside a lot. Our eyes have been pleased by spring blooms in pink, yellow, white, and now in violet of wisterias and hyacinths in our garden. 

In the lovely afternoons, I purposely take him for a walk so that he falls asleep on the stroller. If I succeed, I have a bit of me-time in this garden for one hour, more or less. So, I am writing this article in the sunny spring garden, hoping to finish it up before he wakes up, and remembered that I wanted to show you this Italian picture book titled NEL GIARDINO (IN THE GARDEN).

We found this book during the past winter in the city library. He immediately loved it so much that he started to read it in the park on our way home. Does the image he is looking at reminds you of something? For me it looked like one of the paper-cutting artworks by Henri Matisse, or simply a pair of leaves or seaweeds in different colours. The author, on the other hand, describes it as SORELLE (SISTERS); that works! Actually, it could be nice to ask your kids to find their own word for every illustration while covering the other half of the opened pages, and then to share your answer or to think about other expressions together.

Personally, I thought the first six pages of the book were very interesting. It starts with MELA (apple) also featured in the cover, followed by MELO (apple tree), and COLLINA (hill) planted with apple trees (possibly).  It's like as if we were zooming out from an apple fruit to its tree and the hill!
Have you noticed, by the way, the fruit (of the apple) is a feminine noun and the tree is a masculine noun? It is often the case for other fruits in the latin languages. Such a grammatical nature is not existent in my mother tongue, Japanese, and basically neither in English. It still challenges me to perfectly conjugate my speech according to the genders of Italian words, which are oftentimes trickly. Do you know the word for egg in Italian is masculine in the singular form but feminine in the plural form (un UOVO vs. due UOVA)? Anyway, my son, who already speaks better Italian than Japanese, will not even question why a word is male or female. 

Yes, I have to confess that he used to know better Japanese until a few months ago, but perhaps since those particular four days in March that he spent almost all day with the Italian grandparents, his Italian comprehension has remarkably improved. I am so curious to look inside this sponge-like brain of a bilingual infant; so adaptable and flexible. And guess what I was doing away from my son in those four days? I was attending the Bologna Children's Book Fair. Now let me tell you a bit about my second experience at the world's biggest book fair exclusively dedicated to the children's literature, which marked the 60th anniversary this year.  
In fact, many programs were designed to celebrate the anniversary, including this illustrator's exhibition which featured the old district of Bologna city centre colourfully illustrated by the fair's award-winning artists of the last decade. Look, here I am in front of the wall of this special exhibition, whose colours happened synchronize with those of my scarf I was wearing. Because of this or not, an official video of the day spotted me here for a few seconds are being streamed on the book fair's website. What an honour! 

Coming back to this big trade fair after four years, I was actually more overwhelmed than excited by the tasks I have assigned myself to. Unlike the last time when I attended as part of my master's thesis research, this time I was trying to get more professional networking and opportunities there. The hectic four days were full of ups and downs, but even when there were downs, many beautiful works by famed and emerging illustrators pleased my eyes and heart.

However, one corner of the exhibition walls was an exception. The special exhibition dedicated to the Ukrainian illustrators was silently calling for actions to the participants from the world. Most impressive works for me were these two illustrations. The left seemed to tell the "despair" and the right seemed to show "hope."

It's not just when I saw this exhibition, but my thoughts often travel to all the innocent people, especially the children, in the battlefield and to the family of my Ukrainian friends. I pray that the war ends today and many participants from Ukraine will come back to Bologna next year. 

I am not sure if I will be attending the next edition, but I got some takeaways from my second adventure at the fair. And my trophy was an autographed book I got for my son by Beatrice Alemagna, my favourite contemporary children's literature author and illustrator, and a precious face-to-face chat I unexpectedly got to have with her after her full-house talk session. I have once talked about her book on this blog, and I truly adore her works, and now also adore her after getting to know some unveiled personal aspects of this charming maestra. She is so famous, but was very kind to have a few moments with me. What we talked about? Sorry, I would like to keep it personal. She truly made my day!

This photo was taken at the other talk-session where she presented her exhibition to be inaugurated in the city centre on the occasion of the book fair.  It was also fully crowded and I was sitting on the floor close enough to the stage. I went to the exhibition last week and it truly was amazing.

Do you remember there was another illustrator I wanted to meet at the event? Miguel Tanco, the author of the books I wrote in the precious article. Unfortunately, I could not speak with him, but I could see him very close while he was working. And that was more than enough, his face seemed so calm and happy while moving his hand over a paper. Yes, I saw him drawing! 

All right then, I am signing off for today. Thanks for reading, and see you next time!

About today's book
Nel Giardino
Written and Illustrated by Antonella Abbatiello
Published in September 2017 by TopiPittori 

Did you like it? To stay tuned, follow me on Instagram!

Popular posts from this blog

Come on, mamma! Read me more!

Christmas is coming!  As tradition here in Italy, today is the day to  set up Christmas trees and decollations at home. Officially, it's a Christian holiday ( Immaculate Conception, which I was not familiar with until a few years ago)  and s chools are off. From the morning m y son helped me decollating our tree near the fireplace.  Then my husband who came home for lunch was shocked to see the tree was almost done. I did not know that it was also their tradition to do it altogether in the family. I told him not to worry as we still had not finished with the lights. So, in the end we inaugurated our Christmas season at home together. Anyway, time flied since my last article. How have you been? For us, it has been an eventful latter half of the year. First of all, we left Bologna and moved into our new home in the historic city center of Ferrara. The building itself was first built in the late 15th Century and is designated as a monument! Due to that it took us a whole year to concl

Some thoughts on the children's day

Today, May 5th, we celebrate the annual boys' festival (traditionally it was, but lately it's known as the children's day) in Japan. In short, it’s a day to appreciate and pray for your little one’s sound growth and happiness to come.  This morning, I made these origami kabuto (helmet for Japanese warriors) , irises, and carp, to celebrate our son's first festival of the Japanese tradition. They are iconic items for this day in my homeland. It’s incredible how every single day makes a difference to a baby. Say, how much he speaks and squeaks now compared to just a week ago. I don’t remember exactly since when, but it’s been at least for a couple of weeks that my son started babbling something almost sounds like words. Da da, aba ba, ubbbb, cha, ta… It's irresistibly cute. His “vocabulary” increases each week, in proportion to the variation of his body movements. By the time he turned four months old, he’d already learned how to turn his body to his left (always left