Skip to main content

The most beautiful book for animal lovers

Joy of reading: 

today I want to start by talking about it.

What is it for you? Perhaps it is to gain knowledge, to be opened up to a new world, or to come up with some inspiration. Perhaps, if reading a picture book, it is to please your eyes with beautiful illustrations.

These are commonly experienced by reading print and digital books, however, there are many other joys reserved for print books only. For this, I would always favour print books, no matter how much our everyday life is to be digitalised. 

For example, I can easily go back and forth between the pages at my own pace; sometimes slowly, some other times quickly jumping from one to the other.

Other joys can be materialistic. I like the texture of books bound in fine paper, warm colours printed on them, and smells of ink and paper that become peculiar with age. 

And this precious book by Dahlov Ipcar, an American painter and author, gives me such joys of good quality.


I found this book at a tiny bookstore in a quartier I used to live in, at the historic city centre of Bologna. A girl at the store recommended it to me saying it was her favourite, and immediately, it became mine, too.

What makes this book special is in how it is made. Originally published in 1960 using a hand-picked colour palette and traditional printing techniques, it had been out of print (and the artist's lithographic plates were lost long before) until being reprinted in 2014 faithfully restoring the artistic quality of the first edition. 

I can spend hours looking at these colourful pages filled with animals illustrated in warm tones of old-time, just like when I find myself in front of stunning masterpieces inside art museums. It simply makes me happy. There aren’t many books like this.

So, it was natural for me to pick this treasure as the first book to read aloud to my new-born son in the past winter, although the book targets children much older than his age. It doesn't matter if he understands nothing. What matters is to share with him what I enjoy.


The book is written in simple but rhythmical narratives. The protagonist, a little boy, tells how much he likes animals while imagining all the dream jobs he can think of to be surrounded by various kinds of animals. He may even teach readers some names of unfamiliar spices!

However, I believe the best thing this book tells us is to imagine and dream of doing something based on what we love, and perhaps to suggest that we actually do it. It’s a simple thing but we may forget it as we grow up. 

Not everyone may make his dream job come true, but we can always remember a little passion in our life and teach our kids the same. I want to cherish this book for years to come with my son.

The author must have been the boy in the book who says “ I like animals,” because pretty much all her works feature animals. Now it is my little dream to find and read other classic books by Ipcar, unfortunately many are out of print, and also to see her original artwork.

About today's book
I like animals
Written and illustrated by Dahlov Ipcar
Published in 1960 and reprinted in April 2014 by Flying Eye Books
Also published in French as J'aime les animaux and in Spanish as Me gustan los animales

Did you like it? To stay tuned, follow me on Instagram!

Popular posts from this blog

Come on, mamma! Read me more!

Christmas is coming!  As tradition here in Italy, today is the day to  set up Christmas trees and decollations at home. Officially, it's a Christian holiday ( Immaculate Conception, which I was not familiar with until a few years ago)  and s chools are off. From the morning m y son helped me decollating our tree near the fireplace.  Then my husband who came home for lunch was shocked to see the tree was almost done. I did not know that it was also their tradition to do it altogether in the family. I told him not to worry as we still had not finished with the lights. So, in the end we inaugurated our Christmas season at home together. Anyway, time flied since my last article. How have you been? For us, it has been an eventful latter half of the year. First of all, we left Bologna and moved into our new home in the historic city center of Ferrara. The building itself was first built in the late 15th Century and is designated as a monument! Due to that it took us a whole year to concl

Some thoughts on the children's day

Today, May 5th, we celebrate the annual boys' festival (traditionally it was, but lately it's known as the children's day) in Japan. In short, it’s a day to appreciate and pray for your little one’s sound growth and happiness to come.  This morning, I made these origami kabuto (helmet for Japanese warriors) , irises, and carp, to celebrate our son's first festival of the Japanese tradition. They are iconic items for this day in my homeland. It’s incredible how every single day makes a difference to a baby. Say, how much he speaks and squeaks now compared to just a week ago. I don’t remember exactly since when, but it’s been at least for a couple of weeks that my son started babbling something almost sounds like words. Da da, aba ba, ubbbb, cha, ta… It's irresistibly cute. His “vocabulary” increases each week, in proportion to the variation of his body movements. By the time he turned four months old, he’d already learned how to turn his body to his left (always left

In the spring garden

Spring is definitely my favourite season. It's been sunny almost every day over the weeks here and my son enjoys playing outside a lot. Our eyes have been pleased by spring blooms in pink, yellow, white, and now in violet of wisterias and hyacinths in our garden.  In the lovely afternoons, I purposely take him for a walk so that he falls asleep on the stroller. If I succeed, I have a bit of me-time in this garden for one hour, more or less. So, I am writing this article in the sunny spring garden, hoping to finish it up before he wakes up, and remembered that I wanted to show you this Italian picture book titled NEL GIARDINO (IN THE GARDEN). We found this book during the past winter in the city library. He immediately loved it so much that he started to read it in the park on our way home. Does the image he is looking at reminds you of something? For me it looked like one of the paper-cutting artworks by Henri Matisse, or simply a pair of leaves or seaweeds in different colours. Th